Thursday, September 11, 2008

Another Experience

Its been sometime again. But, this time I have not been procrastinating. I'm now in another country!! The USA. Sometimes it fails to sink in and sometimes it hits you head on! Finally, I made it. After all the hiccups since I planned to take the GRE more than a year back.

Anyway, during the holidays, the 'Lights Out' Campaign came to Chennai. So I thought that I should propagate the message atleast to the people in my locality. So, I hung up a notice board on the tree outside my house.

DSC00108

I could see that atleast 6-7 people read the notice while walking down the road. But, when the time to switch off the lights came, even my closest neighbour (who could read the notice even from his balcony) did not switch off is lights. Of course, I don't how many actually did switch them off, but I sure did. Its really amusing how indifferent people can be. Agreed that everybody can't remember about Global Warming and stuff in everything they do. But, when there is a plea for your participation right underneath your nose, its difficult to ignore it, isn't it?

In fact, many people just walked right past the notice without even a glance. On the other hand, the kids who come to my Mom for tuitions noticed it right away even though it was way above their height and they should have walked right below it without noticing it. Kids are real observant!!

Anyway, the next day, the newspaper carried a report that the campaign was a huge success.

Good. There is a substantial crowd who are aware of their surroundings.

3 comments:

shilpa said...

Hey Santosh...nice post! I agree with you..kids are way more attentive..and definitely willing to make a difference.Wonder whether the same neighbours who ignored your board were the ones complaining about massive T&D losses..and power cuts?

Unknown said...

yes, kids do notice stuff sadly enough its not carried on into adulthood. The same kids tomorrow will snort at such things in a few years, when they are capable of asking their family to follow such things. i think schools need to do more.

Saur said...

hey
that little thing you did... was amazing!